In Belem there is much to do and many advise spending a half day if not a full day exploring.
We recommended that you Explore:
- The extravagant monastery the Mosteiro dos Jeronimos a significant place where sailors wives would pray for the safe return of their loved ones.
- Torre de Belem, Now a Emblem for Lisbon the Torre de Belem was first constructed to guard the city from sea bound attacks. Come here to admire the elaborate craftsmanship and beautiful carved stonework.
- It would not be a trip to Belem without trying the famous Pastel de Nata or Portuguese custard tarts as they are otherwise known and their traditional home is at The Pastéis de Belem Bakery make sure to savour on of these delicious sweet treats while visiting.
Go back in time when visiting Alfama and embrace getting lost in a maze of streets, alleys, lanes and squares and feel the authentic soul of Lisbon. Embrace the pastel colored streets, orange trees and listen to Fado ( traditional portuguese song) while trying traditional charcoal grilled sardine.
Palace of Queluz
The Palace of Queluz is an 18th century palace that shows the harmonious connection between the landscape and magnificent architecture of portugal. Located in lisbon for 10€ (Adult Price) you can enjoy exploring the gardens and palace and all the history within.
Foods to try
- Grilled Sardines
- Often found in the Alfama, Grilled Sardines are a quintessentially portuguese food. Often served with a slice of lemon a a chunky tomato salad. Known locally as Sardinhas Grelhadas.
- Portuguese custard tarts as the are more commonly known in english are sold all around portugal but are best served in there traditional home of Belem.
- The Portuguese are famous for their cod and seafood some of the best to try are
- Bacalhau à Bràs – Salted cod,onions and thinly chopped fried potato.
- Bacalhau à Gomes de Sà – A cod casserole originating from northern porto
- Bolinhos de bacalhau – These are cod dumplings made from a mixture of cod, potatoes, onion and parsley.
- Caldeirada – fish stew made from a variety of fish.
Hotels nearby to the location (Auditorium EDP Headquarters Lisbon, Portugal):
York House Hotel – Rua das Janelas Verdes, Lisboa – Portugal
Contact number +351 21 396 24 35
LX Boutique Hotel– Rua do Alecrim N 12, Lisboa 1200-017, Portugal
Contact number +351 21 347 43 94
Hall Chiado Rua do Alecrim, 45 – Lisboa – 1200-014 Portugal
Contact number +351 91 006 15 00